Homemade mexican salad, like unto Cafe Rio or Costa Vida

I'll first start by saying that I know this is probably a far cry from authentic mexican food, (I have VERY little experience with legit Mexican food, sadly.) but it's yummy, and that's what I really care about. ;)

Sweet Balsamic Glazed Pork from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Like I said, not real authentic, I know Balsamic vinegar is not a Mexican thing, it's Italian, but this is my favorite shredded pork recipe, so I decided to give it a go.
Adjustments I made to the recipe:
I doubled the glaze recipe, but not the amount of meat, and I added 2 extra cloves of garlic to the marinade.
I threw the pork back in the slow cooker, after the prescribed 6 hours of cooking followed by shredding the pork, with a little bit of the glaze added to the water, to get it a bit more tender.

Pico de Gallo
This was the first recipe that popped up when I Googled "Pico de Gallo recipe". If you have a different pico or salsa recipe that you love, use that instead!
I stray even further from mexican authenticity by not adding any cilantro, because I HATE cilantro! I think it is super nasty! But to each their own, and if you insist on ruining a perfectly good dish by adding oodles of cilantro there's little I can do about it.
I love how flexible this recipe is, because it's so easy to customize!  She says you can add lime juice to make it better, so I added the juice of 1/2 a lime to mine, as well as adding 1 clove of fresh garlic instead of the garlic powder, and only about 1/4 of a jalapeno. (I used to love spicy stuff, but ever since my daughter was born I can't handle nearly as much spice in my food. Go figure.)

Serve with:
Tortillas - I love the ones you buy at Costco that you cook at home
Cheddar or Mexican Blend cheese
Sliced avocado
Shredded lettuce
Sour Cream

I'm just about to serve this for dinner, so I'll be back soon with pictures and reviews! Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ramble and Rant