Homemade mexican salad, like unto Cafe Rio or Costa Vida, PT. II

Alright, a lot of things didn't go as planned, which I'm sure has never happened to any of you ;) So here are  my notes on what went well and what could've been better.

First of all, it ended up more like tacos/burritos, because I didn't have enough lettuce to make salads for everybody. But we did feed 6 people, including one man and one teenage boy! With only like 2 lb. of meat! With leftovers!



Second, as much as I still love that pork recipe, it has a pretty bold flavor on its own. It did taste pretty good in the burritos, but I think they would have been better with a more back-seat flavor of meat. Maybe I could try the same recipe, but without the vinegar? That would probably give it a more sweet, subtle flavor that would do better at blending with the other toppings.



On the subject of the Pico de Gallo. I had one large tomato and one medium onion in it, and I really wish I'd added another large tomato. It was too onion-heavy even for me, and I love onions! I guess I was expecting something that was more salsa-like. Next time I'll probably just make regular salsa, which my family does in a blender. 


See? The thing is like 60% onion!

I think my next post will be about homemade salsa. And THEN I'll get to my ice cream cake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ramble and Rant